Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blog name-- what the WHAT?!

So- Cricket and Pomegranate?  Gotta have a story, right?  Well, of COURSE there is a story!

When I was pregnant with #1 (Pomegranate), I was in the middle of graduate school.  (Did I mention that I am a Physician Assistant?)  So I was sitting in the library with classmates and we were discussing baby names-- mainly, had we chosen one for our baby girl.  Well, we hadn't, but I joked that I wanted something really creative.  My classmate, Jaclyn, said that I shouldn't give her a Hollywood baby name, like Inspektor or Moonbeam or Apple.  So I said, "Does that mean I should cross 'Pomegranate' off the list?"  We all laughed, of course, because if you are going for fruit names, that one will ALWAYS be misspelled.  But it stuck for next 21 weeks until she was born and got her real name.  And when people asked about her in email, it was always misspelled.  Did you know that the seed in a pomegranate is called the "aryl"?  Well it is and I spent a good 2 weeks trying to convince my husband that we should name her Aryl.  This is why only one of you is pregnant-- so someone stays sane.  Not that it's a bad name, but I'm not in love with it now that the hormones are gone.

As for Cricket, she is #2.  As with our first daughter, we did not name her in utero.  We didn't even really decide on a name until a week before she came and then only tentatively.  So we referred to her as "El Dos" until we found out she was a girl.  Then I called her Cricket, because I was so busy during the day (still in Grad School and with a toddler to chase and a husband deployed) that I didn't really notice her kicking and squirming until night time.  Then she'd move around so much I had a hard time falling asleep.  You know-- like that one cricket that is hiding in your echoing living room and you can't find it, but it just keeps chirping all night long until you're about to go crazy!!??  Yeah- that was her!

Since most of my crafts are for these two, I decided to name the blog for them.  And since the second child always gets the short end of things, I decided to give her top billing here on Blogger!

So that's the story.  Aren't you glad you know?  

No comments:

Post a Comment